What is plant breeding?
Plant breeders develop new varieties that are productive, nutritious, and adapted to a changing climate. By combining field-based evaluation and selection with the latest genomics technologies, plant breeders provide the world with better food, feed , fiber, and renewable fuel, and contribute to sustainable landscapes.
Whether you wish to work in the field, the forest, the greenhouse, or the laboratory, whether in the academic, private, non-profit, or governmental sector, whether domestic or abroad, a degree in plant breeding can position you for a fulfilling, stimulating, and necessary career. We invite you to explore this website and consider pursuing an education in plant breeding at Tarbiat Modares University (TMU).
TMU ranks the A grade (the best) in Iran for teaching and research in agriculture and Forestry. Through the broad expertise of its faculty, the progressive structure of its many interdisciplinary programs and the research support provided by its cutting-edge facilities, the university provides a singular educational environment for modern plant breeding and its related disciplines. Students interested in a graduate degree in plant breeding should apply to the TMU Graduate Program.
The total number of graduate students has been 40 masters and 18 Ph.Ds (as of 2013) and admits 10-14 MSc and 5 PhD national students per year. The Department of Plant Breeding at TMU has 7 faculty members (having 4 Associate professors and 3 Assistant Professors) in various research fields.
1. Plant Breeding for Quantitative Traits: Breeding for Tolerance to Abiotic Stresses, Breeding for Resistance to Biotic Stresses, Genotype × Environment Interaction
2. Plant Molecular Genetics: Genetic Engineering, Molecular Farming, gene cloning and gene transfer to plants, Secondary Metabolic Engineering, Bioinformatics, Gene Expression
3. Plant Tissue Culture: Plant haploid production by isolated anther/microspore culture, Secondary metabolite production in hairy roots and cell suspension, Micropropagation, Gene transfer in plant haploid materials
4. Plant Cytogenetics: Classic and Molecular Cytogenetics (Karyomorphology, genome size, FISH technique), Ploidy level and secondary metabolites in medicinal plants, Polyploidy induction and gene expression Cell cycle and transformation methods.
1. Genetic engineering laboratory
2. General plant breeding and cytogenetic laboratory
3. Tissue culture laboratory
Controlled plant growth rooms:
1. Seven different growth rooms
2. One glasshouse